There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, 20 November 2010

Living on misunderstanding...

Well, my German, though coming on, is still subject to misunderstanding in both directions. I ventured out alone today to buy some essential supplies. First call to the Metzger - butcher to those unfamiliar with the term. Our local butcher is the butcher equivalent of a Cordon Bleu Chef. An artist, a maestro ... you get the idea. The meat is utterly superb, the wurst, a dream and as for the "Suelze" ...

I did OK, ordering Suelze to my taste, Salami for Mausi and me and Kalb Leberwurst. Then I decided to get adventurous. Spotting what I took to be Pork mince, I asked for 500 grams. A flicker of surprise crossed the lady's face and the gentleman next to me assured me that the "Mett" was excellent, a purchase I would not regret. I agreed, the mince meat I have enjoyed from this supplier is always first class. The real deal, and not as so often elsewhere, the scrag ends of anything left over. Except that "Schweinmett" is finely minced raw pork, intended to be spread on bread. It's a delicacy from the Ruhr area ... So now I have to figure out how I can cook it ...

Suffice it to say that Mausi is highly amused at my mistake ...

No comments:

Post a Comment