Share it

Sunday, 27 January 2013

This is priceless ...

I picked this up on the blog Watts Up With That. I have long said that the "Green" movement has been highjacked by a bunch of ideological vandals, hellbent on using the "save the planet" movement to bring about a new "World Order." This quote, from the WUWT post, sums up how all the "Green" organisations have been used and their membership fed a diet of complete trash while those now running the likes of Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, WWF and others are running a far more radical agenda likely to do far more harm than good.

I am James Lovelock, scientist and author, known as the originator of Gaia theory, a view of the Earth that sees it as a self-regulating entity that keeps the surface environment always fit for life… I am an environmentalist and founder member of the Greens but I bow my head in shame at the thought that our original good intentions should have been so misunderstood and misapplied. We never intended a fundamentalist Green movement that rejected all energy sources other than renewable, nor did we expect the Greens to cast aside our priceless ecological heritage because of their failure to understand that the needs of the Earth are not separable from human needs. We need take care that the spinning windmills do not become like the statues on Easter Island, monuments of a failed civilisation. – Bishop Hill James Lovelock, 12 December 2012 (in a letter noted by Phillip Bratby)  

To crown that, there has been an interesting speech delivered in Oxford by the founder of the anti-Genetically Modified crops movement - who now regrets having spent the last two decades being "anti-science." The speech starts with -

I want to start with some apologies. For the record, here and upfront, I apologise for having spent several years ripping up GM crops. I am also sorry that I helped to start the anti-GM movement back in the mid 1990s, and that I thereby assisted in demonising an important technological option which can be used to benefit the environment.
As an environmentalist, and someone who believes that everyone in this world has a right to a healthy and nutritious diet of their choosing, I could not have chosen a more counter-productive path. I now regret it completely.
Says it all really. I commend to my readers this speech in its entirety. Some of the comments and "Green" responses are informative, but notably the bulk of the responses are 'positive' for what is being said. What we are dealing with here is a new version of the 18th/19th Century Luddites who went about smashing machines and destroying factories because they preferred the 'cottage' industry they understood. While the new machines and factories may well have been dangerous, unhealthy (mind you most of the 'cottages' weren't that healthy either!) and the factory owners exploited their workers, that no longer provides sufficient excuse for those of this tendency. 

All it needs now is for the people who are driving the wind farms and the rest of the 'shut down all coal, nuclear and gas power stations' to admit their mistake ...
I won't be holding my breath just yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment