There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, 13 October 2012

A very complex issue ...

The whole question of Scotland wanting to go completely independent of the rest of the UK is a very complex one. The more I read about it, the more I realise that there are strong arguments on both sides of the debate, some positives for Scotland, but a lot of negatives as well.

Like most things in life, it isn't simple and there isn't a simple answer. So it is refreshing to read something like this. The title almost put me off, but once I got past that it gave me a great deal of food for thought. Scotland has gained quite a bit from the union, not least being part of a larger economy. Yes, it has been 'governed' from London, but that must also take into account the fact that Scotland has a greater proportion of MPs than the population of England gets.

Historically, there have been some financial penalties, but then we have had a large number of Scottish Prime Ministers and even Chancellors of the Exchequer. Someone once wrote that the English are a curious nation, so busy fighting amongst themselves they are happy to allow foreigners to rule them, citing both Norman landowning families and Scottish PMs and Chancellors by way of examples. If one includes the Lords in the matrix, we find a disproportionate number of Lord Chancellors have also been Scottish since 1707.

Personally I'm in favour of retaining the Union, though I think the time may well have arrived for England to have it's own Parliament. And, like everything else, I realise that isn't quite so simple either!

3 comments:

  1. Slim Jim says:
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again - it won't happen. We Scots are nothing if not canny, and when my fellow countrypeeps realise they're being strung along by an obese, slippery wee bag of wind and pish (or, if you like, an animated haggis with a willy); when they realise they will have to apply for EU membership (and they would probably get it!), and subsequently have to join the eurozone, and their standard of living will undoubtedly drop, they will see sense. Now, we hear the cry of ''UNFAIR'' more times than we would like when there is political discourse (or what passes for it these days). Tell me this: is it fair for a Polish plumber living in Scotland (but planning to return home some time) to get a vote whilst wee me living in England, but born a Scot (and I may return one day), won't get a vote? And while we're at it - when will we get a vote on EUSSR membership?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slim Jim, I hope you are right, if only because I do believe the British people, English, Scottish, Welsh and, dare one add, the Irish, have achieved more in "union" than any other group in the last 2,000 years - and they did it together. As you well know my own ancestry includes ties to all four "nations" and I'm proud of them. I hate to see petty politicians destroy all that simply to further their own self aggrandising ambitions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if it does happen, I'll be first in line for a passport! I have a Scottish income to protect for one thing... plus I own land there (one single square foot of Islay!) actually, I might temporarily register my address at one of my Son's properties just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete