There was an error in this gadget

Monday, 18 July 2011

Tax Raid ...

I wondered why the last two months, my pension payments have been seriously reduced. I've finally managed to dig out the paperwork, find the contact numbers and ring the Pension provider.

Guess what? It turns out that HMRC have "reviewed" my tax for the last couple of years and decided, unilaterally and based on ONE good year while I was a sole trader, that they would collect tax on the highest potential earnings ... This despite having been advised in writing by my accountant, by me and by my accountant again, that I had ceased trading as of 1 April 2010. Apparently HMG are now so desperate for cash that they will even take tax against what you MIGHT earn.

It has taken the better part of two days to get this sorted out, and with not a little inconvenience and expense on my part. Will I get back the extra money they have already taken? Probably not without a protracted legal battle - although they can damned well charge me enormous penalties for not paying them immediately.

Do I love Civil Servants and Tax Collectors? Let's just say I hope there is a Hell - and it's reserved for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment