There was an error in this gadget

Friday, 14 October 2011

Migrants ...

Mausi and I have just watched the passing of several thousand migrating cranes. They make quite a racket "talking" to each other as they fly and the fascinating thing is how they all seem to be following a very narrow "flight path" and making use of updrafts off the mountain slopes around us at intervals to gain altitude.

From the direction they are taking I'm guessing their route will skirt the French Alpine region, then cross France into Spain and across the Strait of Gibraltar into Africa. I'd post a picture, but couldn't get one - as ever the camera was not handy and I didn't want to miss the show. The swallows vanished in early September, the geese flocks passed over us last Tuesday and now the cranes...

Guess that means we should prepare for winter ourselves - which is what Mausi and I have been doing in the garden.

2 comments:

  1. Apologies for gate-crashing your blog! You left a lovely comment on a blog post I wrote just over a month ago http://jen-campbell.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-i-talk-about-when-i-dont-know.html

    I'm now doing a fundraising event [writing 100 poems in a weekend] to raise money for the research centres who are looking for a cure for this sight problem [amongst other things]. If you could spread the word about it, that would be amazing. http://www.indiegogo.com/100-Poem-Challenge

    Thanks so much,

    Jen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, I'm always willing to support good causes and yours certainly qualifies.

    I commend this to my readers, please visit Jen's blog for the full story. http://jen-campbell.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-i-talk-about-when-i-dont-know.html

    ReplyDelete