There was an error in this gadget

Friday, 19 June 2009

Iranian election protests

Predictably I suppose, the Iranian government seems to be trying to blame the US, the West and the UK in general for the unrest on their streets. Sensibly, the western leaders are staying out of the debate, a pity the same can't be said of the usual bleeding heart brigade who can't seem to keep their mouths shut even when they know that opening them won't help the very people they claim to be trying to help.

I confess to being worried about my friends in Iran, my "boys" in the fire service in Teheran who will be finding themselves caught between two fires, the hardline religious militias on the one hand and the angry crowds on the other. The one will see them was interfering and the other will see them as representing a hated regime. Having been in that position, I do not envy them and I am really afraid of the consequences for them.

This is something the Iranian people have to resolve for themselves, how much longer they intend to live under the tyranny of the "Revolutionary Council" and the current President and his cronies - for this is really the problem; the corruption is endemic and starts with a "jobs for friends and family" culture that Mister Armedinejad has exploited to the full - is a question only they can answer.

In the meantime I will be praying for the safety of my friends, Parvis, Mahommed, Nasir, Reza, Dovood, Kazim and Mohammed.

No comments:

Post a Comment